Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ice Cream Genius Makes Treat That Changes Color When You Lick It

Ice Cream Genius Makes Treat That Changes Color When You Lick It

Ice Cream Genius Makes Treat That Changes Color When You Lick It

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 11:17 AM PDT

Instagram Photo

The global push for STEM education probably wasn’t for producing this kind of scientific innovation: color changing ice cream.

But that’s where Michael Linares, a Spanish physicist and electrical engineer, has decided to focus his talents by creating an ice cream that changes color when you lick it, according to his local Spanish news site. Called Xamaleón, a play on the Spanish word for chameleon, the ice cream starts at a lavender color before it’s sprayed with what Linares calls a “love elixir.” Once you lick it, it turns magenta.

The dessert technology is patent pending, and details on how the “love elixir” blesses the ice cream with chameleonic powers are secret. (Some reports are saying the mysterious potion indeed has aphrodisiac properties.) Linares has disclosed to Gizmodo that the “love elixir,” originally his master’s thesis, is “entirely made with natural ingredients,” and that he’s also working on two variations: one that changes under UV lights at nightclubs, and another that’ll turn from pink to white all on its own.

The color changing ice cream is currently available at only his ice cream shop in Girona, Spain.

Why I’m Not Afraid to Be Too Gay on Facebook

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 11:09 AM PDT

PatheosLogo_Blue

This article originally appeared on Patheos.

We had just lit a candle, said a blessing and were passing around the broken bread for all at the table to share when we began talking about our respective days. The kids had been about the business of getting the most out of the last days of their summer vacation (we go back to school sinfully early in Georgia) and I had been engaged in the regular ins and outs of working for the college I love, writing for the blog I adore, posting on Facebook frequently (the kids say obsessively) everything from political/theological news to rather base potty humor and the occasional dog video (what?) to responding to the regular sprinkling of hateful comments on my blog and in private messages.

I don't usually talk about that aspect of what I do in front of my kids but I said just enough in an otherwise glib moment that my oldest furrowed her brow and went off a bit "Mom, you post everything, I mean way too much – like every moment of your life! Ugh, what you eat, who you are hanging out with, pictures of me and you even check in on Foursquare and stuff. Some day one of those crazies is gonna find you and…"

I cut her off there, first hoping to reassure her that it really wasn't that bad and no one is looking to hurt me but what I needed her to hear was…

Let me back up a bit.

I've been writing this here blog for just a scooch over two years. But long before Patheos invited me to stretch my gawd-awful clothes line and hang out my weathered washin' on the front lawn of my digital acre, I was wrestling mightily with what it meant to live life fully as God created me and to as love openly as my mamma and daddy had when I was growing up.

After stuffing down my truth for for decades I found the love of my life. We fell hard and fast and it was glorious. I wanted nothing more than to love her fiercely and openly. But as it turns out we had very different notions about how to live as a committed lesbian couple. For her it meant carefully maintaining circles of who was allowed to know and who was not. In her career she carefully selected those friends and colleagues who were permitted access to the inner circle of our life. Most of her daily professional life was conducted as if I did not exist or was simply a roommate – a babysitter. I really do understand her need to live out her career not labeled and pigeon-holed into a certain trajectory based on her superiors' ability to grasp or not grasp equality – but it was hard, real hard to be invisible as a cop's wife.

Thankfully, in our church and local community life we lived more openly with no secrets from our children's teachers or folks in the neighborhood. Slowly my love invited old friends into the circle and her family, though the words were never spoken, treated us with love and genuine kindness. I never felt anything less than a daughter-in-law when in the presence of her parents. But there was a limit to our openness. Touching in public, hand holding, a stolen peck of a kiss, a loving embrace – these were always and only permitted behind closed doors. She was ever mindful of what others would think and the potential consequences of encountering hateful homophobes, especially if we were with our children.

But for me, I simply could not wrap my head or heart around the impulse to hide love. Though I tried to respect her way of living out her queerness, it would become a source of bitter conflict that would poison the wellspring of our love.

See, once I came out to my family to utterly devastating rejection, walked away from their abuse – and didn't shrivel up and die, well a setting resentment began to grow each time I was asked to dampen and hide my affection while watching friends openly share tender moments regardless of the company.

The fault that began to open between us would be the source of many a tiny, deadly tremor in our foundation and would ultimately contribute to the dark and gaping fissure into which our love fell and could not climb out.

I simply do not know any other way to exist in this mortal coil and on this beautiful and broken planet than transparent to a fault.

So now, still fumbling my way though this thing called life, I blog about the willful ignorance of homophobic "Christians". I post all over the interwebs about my utterly banal homosexual lifestyle, I write about the extravagant welcome of God and the radical hospitality of Christ, and I live openly and unabashedly for any and all to see.

As a result I encounter vitriol all up and down the ignorance, fear and loathing spectrum. Every day. And every day I do my dead level best to confront the vitriol with grace and integrity (but more often than not I fail to live up to my ideal).

It seems like every week someone asks me why I do what I do. "How do can you stand to jump into these abusive conversations? You must have thick skin!" Sometimes all I can say is that I have no idea why I do it and you have no idea how often I cry myself to sleep. But more often than not I answer something like "Because I am compelled beyond reason to show up over and over again and share the good news that God loves us. I am drawn into the fray to say, just for the outside chance that whosoever needs to hear, will maybe hear for the first time in their life, that they are loved beyond their wildest imagination and free in Christ. I know not why, only that I must proclaim, directly from the book that is otherwise used as a weapon, that nothing, nothing, nothing on earth, in heaven or all of creation can separate us from the love of God."

Most of all I know that I have no skills to be anything other than nakedly, unashamedly myself.

What I need my daughter to know is this. Yes, there are people out there who hate gays and lesbians savagely enough to kill us. They hate queer folk all the more when we have audacity to claim Jesus and cry out to God in thanksgiving for making us who we are. But I must wake up every day and be me and for some damn reason I am called to do so in a public way. I am called to speak loudly to those who would silence me, stand boldly in the light in front of those who would have me skulk away in the dark and reject the heretical theology that God would create me for a life of shame, fear and self-loathing. For do anything less is to give myself over to the power of darkness and admit that evil has already won.

Kimberly Knight is the Director of Digital Strategy at a southern liberal arts college and Minister of Digital community with Extravagance UCC.

Read more from Patheos:

Want to See a Live Dinosaur? Set Up a Bird Feeder

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 11:05 AM PDT

When the theory first arose that birds evolved directly from dinosaurs, it was enormously controversial. It was even more contentious when some paleontologists argued that birds are dinosaurs—the only branch of the family that survived a cataclysmic asteroid strike 65 million years ago.

That initial controversy has largely vanished, thanks to a series of astonishing discoveries over the past 20 years or so—for example, that many dinosaur species sported feathers, and that the bone structures of birds and dinos are similar in all sorts of ways. “We now know birds are a subgroup of dinosaurs, like humans are a subgroup of apes,” says paleontologist Michael Lee, of the South Australian Museum, in Adelaide.

Now a new report in Science by Lee and several colleagues has laid out in unprecedented detail the exact bird branch of the dinosaur tree that sprouted and evolved over some 50 million years—and how that evolution may have saved birds from extinction when the asteroid struck.

The study is based on a cross-species analysis of more than 1,500 anatomical features across 120 species of early birds and therapod dinosaurs—the branch that includes velociraptors and T. Rex, and which is most closely related to birds. Of all the evolutionary changes that reshaped the bird lineage, says Michael Benton, a paleontologist at the University of Bristol in the UK, writing in a commentary on the new paper that also appears in Science, “The key seems to be miniaturization.”

Starting about 200 million years ago, the paper shows, one group of therapods began to shrink rapidly, from an average weight of more than 350 lb. to less than two. Not only that, says Lee, but, “It turns out that birds and their direct ancestors evolved about four times faster than other dinosaurs over that time.”

It’s not unusual to see different rates of evolution in related species, he says. “Rodents are the most successful mammals by far, for example,” Lee says, “and one reason is that they have the most rapidly evolving DNA.” Rapid evolution could be one reason there are now 10,000 species of birds, but only a few dozen species of crocodiles, even though both are equally ancient.

Shrinkage isn’t the only change that transformed therapods into birds, says Benton. “There was miniaturization, but also modifications to the eyes, the elaboration of feathers, the development of wings out of the small, silly-looking forelimbs therapods have.”

These changes might have been driven by their helpfulness in letting birds adapt to living in trees—previously uninhabited ecological niche. It’s still just a hypothesis, says Benton, but “there might have been an opportunity to conquer a new habitat by getting smaller, developing the ability to climb and to glide, developing better vision so you don't go banging into branches.”

The changes could also have given birds a huge advantage over other dinosaurs when the asteroid finally struck. “Birds obviously didn't evolve knowing in advance that it would hit,” says Lee, “but the adaptations might have incidentally helped them survive—they could warm themselves with feathers [when dust from the asteroid cooled the Earth], fly long distances for food.”

What most people don’t realize, says Lee, is that birds didn’t show up just as the other dinosaurs were dying out. “They shared the world for 100 million years.” The quintessential proto-bird, Archaeopteryx, lived 150 million years ago, he points out. But the terrifying T. Rex wouldn’t show up until many tens of millions of years later.

The CDC Says You Shouldn’t Fly To Countries Hardest Hit By Ebola Outbreak

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 11:03 AM PDT

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a travel advisory for Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia in response to an Ebola outbreak ravaging those West African countries, CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden announced in a press conference Thursday.

The CDC’s warning recommends against non-essential travel to the three countries. Frieden also said the CDC is sending an additional 50 disease control specialists into the three countries over the next 30 days in order to establish emergency operation centers in collaboration with the World Health Organization. The centers will provide resources and fast diagnoses, according to Frieden. The CDC already has workers tracking the epidemic and its spread.

“The bottom line is Ebola is worsening in West Africa,” said Frieden. “CDC, along with others, are surging to begin to turn the tide. It is not going to be quick. It is not going to be easy. But we know what to do. The current outbreak is bad. It's the biggest, the most complex, and the first time it's been present in this region.”

Frieden said the shared border of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia appears to be the epicenter of the outbreak. One of the greatest problems facing containment efforts, he said, is that the three countries’ health care systems are not highly functional. Some residents of the worst-hit countries also lack an understanding of the disease, and many have developed a hostility towards health workers over fears they are spreading the very disease they are working to prevent.

So far, the Ebola outbreak has been isolated to West Africa. It recently spread into Nigeria, when a traveler from Liberia was recently diagnosed with the virus. Sierra Leone, meanwhile, has declared a public health emergency over the outbreak.

Despite the CDC’s travel warnings, Frieden said Ebola, which he called “frankly a dreadful and merciless virus,” poses little risk to the American population. Even if the U.S. were to have a confirmed case, the director says it is highly unlikely the disease would spread significantly — every hospital with an intensive care unit can isolate a patient, he said. Ebola transmission, meanwhile, only happens via direct contact with infected bodily fluids.

“In past outbreaks, we’ve been able to stop every outbreak, but it takes meticulous work,” said Frieden. “It’s like fighting a forest fire. If you leave behind even one burning ember, one case undetected, it could reignite the epidemic. But as difficult as it is, it can be done.”

Currently, the CDC is not screening travelers from the affected countries.

For the basics on the disease, check out the infographic below.

Sources: WHO, CDC, Mayo Clinic

House Republicans Abandon Vote on Border Security Bill in Face of Tea Party Opposition

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 11:03 AM PDT

(WASHINGTON) — House Republicans abandon vote on border security bill in face of tea party opposition.

NFL Star Ray Rice on Assault: ‘My Actions Were Inexcusable’

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 10:58 AM PDT

Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice publicly apologized a second time to his wife after being arrested for allegedly assaulting her. The National Football League suspended Rice for two games this season following the arrest.

“My actions were inexcusable. My actions are something I have to live with for the rest of my life,” he said.

A grand jury indicted Rice in March for third-degree assault after TMZ posted a video of him dragging his unconscious then-fiancée out of an elevator at an Atlantic City hotel. Rice allegedly hit the woman so hard that she fell unconscious. Rice settled the charges by entering a pretrial program, which means he will pay a fine but serve no jail time. Rice’s record will be wiped clean in one year.

In May, Rice and his wife (the two have since married) held a press conference in which she apologized but he did not. The pair drew criticism for perpetuating victim-blaming.

“I didn’t publicly apologize to my wife. I know that hit home for a lot of people,” Rice said during Thursday’s conference. “I’ve made the biggest mistake of my life. Me. She can do no wrong. She’s an angel.”

The NFL has come under fire for only suspending Rice for two games while it has suspended players who smoked marijuana for an entire season. Top sports analysts like Keith Olbermann have spoken out against NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for being too lenient on Rice and not taking the issue of domestic violence seriously.

Watch Katy Perry Do What She Does Best In ‘This Is How We Do’ Video

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 10:52 AM PDT

If you can get over the fact that Katy Perry’s new single “This Is How We Do” features groan-worthy lyrics like “Now we’re talking astrology / getting our nails did all Japanese-y,” you’ll realize it’s actually kind of a jam. It’s no Dark Horse in the running for Song of the Summer, sure, but it’s certainly worthy of a video featuring over-the-top visuals and outrageous outfits — basically everything Katy Perry does best.

The singer wisely steers the costumes clear of any ethnic groups this time, instead opting for pop culture references with the Pee-Wee Herman-inspired backup dancers, some Mondrian get-ups and a brief but always welcome tribute to Aretha Franklin’s inauguration hat.

Perry is one of the most consistent pop stars around when it comes to matching her ear candy with eye-catching visuals, so if this is really how she do, she should do it more often.

This Dozing Desk Means Never Getting Out of Bed Again

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 10:45 AM PDT

Some incredible—or incredibly useless—inventions have come out of Japan, like the ramen face shield. But this "Super Upward-Looking Dozing Desk," discovered by Kotaku, is something every lazy technology user would love to own. The contraption brings us one step closer to becoming the pod people from Wall-E.

The Dozing Desk forms a kind of armature over your prone body in bed. It holds a laptop precariously above your face with the help of elastic ties (hopefully secure enough to keep it from falling on you, which it looks poised to do). Your eyes now have a straight line to the screen even while laying down, and your keyboard is perfectly aligned to your hands. The only problem might be a lack of circulation to your arms, but you don't type that much anyway, do you?

The desk apparatus looks funny, but there's a burgeoning line of products for those who don't want to do their computing while sitting—which, after all, kills you slowly. The Zero Gravity Desk kind of looks like a dentist's chair, with its various arms and levers. But it's designed to keep your body perfectly balanced and unstressed while working, and who wouldn't want that?

These devices are the closest thing we have to becoming floating brains in tanks, controlling our digital lives through the power of our thoughts. Before we achieve that singularity, there's always the bed-desk. Or at least these prism-spectacles that let you read while laying down.

Argentina Defaults After Debt Talks Collapse

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 10:35 AM PDT

The last time Argentina defaulted on its debts it was announced at a packed session of Congress with the nation’s legislators hollering anti-imperialist slogans and singing the Peronist March, the battle hymn of the Peronist political party that has ruled Argentina for 24 of the last 31 years.

That 2001 default of $93 billion was considered a slap in the face of an international financial system that Peronism abhors and that it sees as saddling countries such as Argentina with unmanageable debt levels. But once the cheering died down, Argentina’s economy collapsed like a house of cards. All banks were closed by government order, destroying the life savings of millions and reducing Argentina to a cashless economy that for about a year relied on barter markets for the procurement of essential household essentials such as food and clothing.

By contrast, 13 years later, on July 30, Argentina went into default quietly, with its political leaders in a state of deep denial. “It’s not default,” claimed Argentina’s Economy Minister Axel Kicillof against all evidence at an improvised press conference in a small wood-paneled room of the Argentine consulate in New York.

Argentina’s blue-eyed 42-year-old minister, who has drawn sighs on the internet for his perceived good looks, disparaged the fact that the credit rating agency Standard & Poor’s had earlier in the day downgraded Argentina to “selective default” for failing to meet a payment deadline on its 2001 debt. “Who believes in credit rating agencies at this stage?” Kicillof sharply demanded.

Turning a blind eye to evident economic realities has been the Achilles heel of the Peronist government of President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who is facing a sharp economic downturn in the last 18 months of her second period in office. When inflation reared its ugly head a few years ago, Kirchner ordered the INDEC national statistics bureau to release grossly low inflation figures. Then she prohibited private economists from putting out their own more realistic estimates.

Similarly, only last week Kirchner remained in sharp denial of the default deadline. “They’re going to have to invent another name for it because Argentina has paid,” Kirchner said.

Yesterday’s default came about after American hedge funds won a lawsuit ordering Argentina to pay them some $1.6 billion for bonds they bought at a low market price after the 2001 default. Some 93% of bondholders accepted a 75% reduction on the Argentine debt they were saddled with back then. But the remaining seven percent who refused the “haircut” took Argentina to court in New York demanding full payment. Two years ago they won the case and last month that victory was validated by the US Supreme Court, which refused to hear an appeal by Buenos Aires.

“That Supreme Court decision was like a lightning bolt out of a cloudless sky,” said Kicillof, who was in New York seeking a last-minute way out of the looming crisis.

President Kirchner has staunchly refused to pay the “vulture funds” that she says prey on weak economies with debt problems. She claims paying them would leave Argentina vulnerable to gigantic claims from the other 93% of bondholders.

“The vulture funds did not lend Argentina a single dollar, a single penny,” said Kicillof. “They are not lenders from 2001 who were cheated.”

Last night’s mini-default could have immediate financial consequences for Argentina, such as a possible devaluation of the Argentine peso and the drying up of investments. But economists expect the jolt for ordinary citizens will be far slower. Although the economy has hit a recession, the situation is nowhere near as fragile as it was 13 years ago.

Meanwhile, a consortium of private Argentine banks has been working on an original solution. At a meeting with the “vulture funds” in New York yesterday, the consortium offered to cover the $1.6 billion awarded by the US court. “I wouldn’t be surprised if a solution was found between private parties, including private bankers,” Kicillof said.

White House: Shelling Of U.N. School in Gaza ‘Totally Indefensible’

Posted: 31 Jul 2014 10:34 AM PDT

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest has issued the Obama administration’s toughest critique yet of Israeli conduct in the ongoing conflict with Hamas in Gaza, saying Thursday that the Israeli shelling of a U.N. school-turned-shelter for Palestinian civilians was “totally indefensible.”

Addressing reporters, Earnest quoted U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon that "all available evidence points to Israeli artillery as the cause" of the attack, which took place early Wednesday morning. At least 19 people died in the incident, according to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, which ran the shelter. The shelling marked the sixth attack on a U.N. shelter during the ongoing conflict.

On Wednesday, National Security Council Spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said “the United States condemns the shelling of a UNRWA school in Gaza,” but did not single out Israel for responsibility. Earnest’s comments went further, noting that the U.S. government has no reason to doubt U.N. reports that Israel was behind the shelling.

“It does not appear there's a lot of doubt about whose artillery was involved in this incident,” Earnest said.

“The shelling of a U.N. facility that is housing innocent civilians who are fleeing violence is totally unacceptable and totally indefensible,” Earnest said. “And it is clear that we need our allies in Israel to do more to live up to the high standards that they have set for themselves.”

Earnest said the incident should redouble efforts for an immediate humanitarian cease-fire, prospects for which slimmed Thursday as the Israeli military prepared to broaden its operations inside Gaza.

“The thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the families of those who have been lost in this terrible conflict,” Earnest added. “And what we are simply asking the Israelis to do, in fact urging the Israelis to do, is to do more to live up to the standards that they have set for their own military operations to protect the lives of innocent civilians.”

Caches of weapons have been found in at least three UNRWA schools over the course of the three-week conflict. In the most recent incident, the Israeli military said its forces took fire from the area around the school and returned fire.

“We also condemn those responsible for hiding weapons in United Nations facilities in Gaza,” Meehan said. “All of these actions, and similar ones earlier in the conflict, are inconsistent with the UN's neutrality.”

0 comments: